[ Makenzie Way, 3L at the University of Pennsylvania ]
Fall is upon us, and you know what that means, right?
Now, you could go as your favorite superhero or TV character, admittedly that’s what I normally do. But, if you’re looking to let your inner legal nerd out, below are some ideas to get you started!
1. Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Why not go as the queen herself, and no I don’t mean Beyoncé!
2. Judge: RBG not doing the trick for you? You can still grab a black robe and gavel and dress up as your favorite TV judge, movie Judge, or supreme court justice (or a judge plain and simple).
3. Elle Woods from Legally Blonde: Curly blond hair and a matching skirt suit or the classic pink dress are all you need to transform into this movie character!
4. The Founding Fathers / Hamilton: Every law student knows about the founding fathers, just as nearly every law student wants to see the famous play, Hamilton. Why not grab some fitting apparel and dress up as one of them yourself?
5. Lady Justice: If you’ve ever wanted to hold to scales of justice, now is your time! A classically simple costume.
6. A Law Firm Billboard: Put your legal writing to work and transform yourself into one of those highway-legal billboards – just make sure not to violate the rules of professional conduct.
7. ‘Salt and Battery’: A perfect couples or friends costume for those who love a good play on words.
8. My Cousin Vinny Character(s): Also a great couples costume – or as a solo costume. After all, what’s more iconic than Vinny’s stellar courtroom performance?
9. Law Student: For those of you who don’t have the energy or motivation to dress up, this is the perfect Halloween costume for you! Throw on some wrinkled clothes – bonus points if there’s a coffee stain somewhere on the shirt – forgo undereye concealer and let those dark circles shine, stick a BARBRI highlighter in your pocket, and a coffee cup in your hand and you’re ready to go.