GUEST BLOG Makenzie Way, 2L at the University of Pennsylvania Law School
We did it! 2L is under our belts, we are officially 1 year away from graduating and entering the legal profession. But before we enter 3L we have ten weeks of summer employment, and a month of vacation.
Now that we’re incoming 3L’s, how should we spend our summers compared to 1L?
- Establish at least one mentorship relationship with someone from your firm, or in your target location.
- Work on a case, or in an area of law, that really reminds you of why you went to law school in the first place (even if it’s pro bono).
- Branch out and visit a law school friend in another city.
- Escape the office for a weekend and go to the beach; work on that summer tan!
- If you’re located in your target city, explore your soon to-be-home: find a favorite diner, an ideal neighborhood, and a great after-work bar.
- Plan some form of post-employment trip, even if it’s just a road trip.
- Make at least one solid friendship with an incoming associate at your firm.
- If you worked in big law this summer, splurge and buy yourself something you’ve always wanted (though keep in mind you still have one year of school left).
- Make at least one friend in your city who isn’t involved in the legal profession.
- Set aside an afternoon, or ideally a weekend, to just reconnect with old friends or family and relax.
Without a doubt, 2L has been a whirlwind. Try not to forget all you’ve accomplished this summer. Embrace the opportunities that are thrown your way, and remember, this is our last summer before Bar prep and true career responsibilities take effect. Make the most of it while you can! And don’t forget, when you’re spending hours in the office this summer, it’s your friends and family who will get you through it all, so send them a little love, and find time to see them.