Ohio Bar Exam (UBE) details
A typical Ohio Bar Exam is a 2-day Uniform Bar Exam (UBE)
- Two 90-minute Multistate Performance Test questions (MPT in the AM)
- Six 30-minute Multistate Essay Exam questions (MEE in the PM)
- Multistate Bar Exam (MBE), a 200-question, multiple-choice exam (100 questions in the AM, 100 questions in the PM)
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law/Procedure
- Federal Civil Procedure
- Real Property
- Business Associations (Agency and Partnership; Corporations; and Limited Liability Companies)
- Conflict of Laws
- Family Law
- Trusts and Estates (Decedents' Estates; Trusts and Future Interests)
- Article 9 (Secured Transactions) of the Uniform Commercial Code
- Plus all MBE subjects
- “Closed universe” practical questions using instructions, factual data, cases, statutes and other reference material supplied by examiners.
- A scaled score of 85 is required for admission to the bar.
The MEE is worth 30% of the overall score, the MPT is worth 20% of the overall score, and the MBE is worth 50% of the overall score.
The scores are combined to determine if the applicant has achieved a passing score of 270.
Acceptance of MBE Score
Ohio does not accept an MBE score from an exam taken in another jurisdiction.
Admission on Motion
May be admitted on motion if applicant has engaged in active practice of law for five of 10 years preceding application and is a graduate of an ABA accredited law school. For complete details, contact the Board of Bar Examiners Supreme Court of Ohio.
Admission by UBE
Applicants who have obtained a scaled score of at least 270 on a Uniform Bar Exam taken in another jurisdiction within five years may apply for admission based on that score. The earliest administration acceptable for transfer will be February 2016.
All applicants will be required to take an Ohio Bar Exam component prior to admission. For details, contact the Board of Bar Examiners Supreme Court of Ohio.
We compile all of the information that you need to know about the dates, format, subjects tested, deadlines, fees and more - for each U.S. state - in the free BARBRI Bar Exam Digest.
Find the BARBRI bar prep course that’s built for you
Traditional Bar Review
Full-time course | 8-10 week
Candidates with a J.D. from a U.S. law school looking for the quickest, most efficient & effective course to pass any U.S. state bar exam
Extended Bar Prep
Part-time course | 6- or 10-month
Best for candidates without a J.D. from a U.S. law school looking for the most comprehensive bar prep or students who want more study time & flexibility