SQE at a glance
It’s not just a new name, it’s an entirely different way of testing, bringing with it the need for an entirely new way of preparing for the examination.
From September 2021, the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) and the Legal Practice Course (LPC) are being phased out and replaced by the new Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE). With that change comes an entirely new way of testing your legal knowledge and lawyering skills.
The SQE is comprised of a series of exams that, unlike the GDL/LPC exams, include mixed subject questions (contract with civil litigation, for example) and multiple-choice formats. Furthermore, the SQE means that a classic undergraduate law degree, or non-law degree, will provide insufficient test preparation on their own.
Why take the new SQE rather than the old route?
- The SQE offers greater flexibility, spreading the preparation course and exam fees over longer time periods.
- Unlike the full-time LPC, earn whilst learning with BARBRI SQE Prep.
- The SQE and the opportunity for qualifying work experience in place of a traditional training contract allows flexible entry into the profession.
- Many smaller LPC providers will discontinue their course or migrate to SQE preparation, making it difficult to gain a place in an affordable or convenient LPC.
- Innovation and investment will be directed towards the SQE as universities, law firms and employers begin focusing on the new qualification.
- From 2022, most employers will expect their future trainees to have qualified under the SQE.
Path to qualification
Test out our online course
Sign up for free to check out the BARBRI SQE Prep course. Powered by the Intuitive Study Assistant and Coach (ISAAC), it calibrates to your time and progress to ensure you maximise your study time and prepare with confidence for the Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE).
Preparing for the SQE
This completely new method for testing your readiness to become a solicitor in England and Wales requires a completely new method of preparation and that’s what BARBRI offers. BARBRI has been the overwhelming choice of law students in the U.S. for decades.
Now, you can take advantage of those decades of experience. You can face the SQE with confidence. You can make the choice that’s helped more than 1.3 million U.S. law students prepare for their version of the SQE. You can trust BARBRI.
Download the SQE Prep Prospectus
When you download the SQE Prep Prospectus, you’ll have access to key information about the Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE) and BARBRI. You’ll learn about the SQE format, get information about the path to qualification, and see course options and the timeline for preparation for both stages of the exam.